South County Toastmasters Club 1957
Meeting Type/Theme: Father’s Day
Meeting Location: Sunset Hills Community Center and Zoom
Call to Order: 6:00 PM
Presiding Officer: Jim Salih
President Jim Salih asked if there were any corrections or additions to be made to the meeting minutes of June 1, 2022. The minutes were approved as posted.
President: Jim Salih:
- There will be an Executive Board meeting Tuesday June 14, 7 pm, on Zoom. Link to be sent. The newly elected incoming board members are welcome to attend.
- Please fill out your Google Form that you should have received in email concerning the upcoming Tower Tee Fun Day. We need to know how many will participate in Bocce part of the day to judge our costs. This event will take place on June 18, 2022. Please complete the form so Jim and Sandy can reserve the Bocce courts.
- FYI only: our club currently have 29 members.
- We had a very good TLI last Saturday. We had numerous SCTM members attend as presenters or organizers: Jim Salih, Debbie Young, Brent Stewart and Steve Burchett. We need 4 officers trained to receive Distinguished Club credit but having all 7 trained is our goal.
- We got a second consecutive monthly mention in the Sunset Hills Community Center newsletter. We will try to keep the string going.
- Jim has received two comments that our microphone feed to our Zoom home audience has improved since we made a few tweaks a couple of weeks ago. Remember to speak loudly and/or to move closer to Little Howard when speaking.
- Please wear your name tags so our guests will feel comfortable approaching you and calling your by name.
- Jim has not been told of our having to enter through the side door yet. He will let the Club know if he hears anything, but if you arrive tomorrow and things look super busy, you may have to enter through the side door near the bathrooms. We may have to do this once a month for the next three months because of special events at the community center.
- Brent, let the guest (your friend) from last week know of the side door entry potential.
- Each member should stock up on SCTM business cards for handing out at the Fun Day. We may get inquiries as to who we are and what we do. The business cards are stored in our meeting room locker.
- Tower Tee wants us to buy our food from them and the food is allowed throughout most of the grounds, if not all, and not restricted to the inside area.
- The management of Sunset Hills Community Center informs the Club of special events on the nights of the Club meetings. When these events take place, the parking is very limited and the Club members have to park far away. On these nights, the Club meetings will take place via Zoom only.
VPE: Liz DeCamp. No report.
VPM: Sandy Roll. The Bocce Ball, Tower Tee Club event is scheduled for Saturday, June 18, 2022 from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM. Sandy invited former SCTM members to the Bocce Ball event. Mary Kay Spencer will be attending the event.
VPPR: Bill Collier.
- Bill is working on member spotlight posts on social media. The first member spotlighted was Steve Burchett. This has been posted on Facebook and LinkedIn. Bill is looking for additional members to spotlight for future posts. SCTM members are encouraged to contact Bill if you are interested in participating.
- Bill reported that Victor Mattison found a good article in Inc. Magazine that discusses public speaking. Bill has posted this on the SCTM Facebook page. All members are encouraged to read the article.
TMI Coordinator/Liaison: Debbie Young. District 8 officer training was done on June 4, 2022. SCTM had 4 new officers participate. The goal is to have all officers trained. There will be make up training in the near future. All new officers are encouraged to attend the make up training. The dates wll be announced in the near future.
Speakers Bureau: Kathy Denton. No report.
Treasurer: Brent Stewart: Art Schoenberger’s check was returned since he decided not to join the Club.
Old Business: No report.
New Business: No report.
Committees: No report.
Correspondence and Announcements:
- Brent Stewart led the TLI officer training for the Treasurer’s role on June 4th. It was a good experience even though it was challenging to conduct the training via Zoom only. Debbie Young provided some constructive feedback which was very helpful.
- Jim Salih asked for feedback from the members about the reports he sends out prior to each meeting. The majority of members thought this was a good idea and he should continue to send out the reports prior to each meeting,
Business Meeting Adjourned 6:20 pm
|Table Topics Master||Victor Mattison|
|General Evaluator||Bill Collier|
|Speaker 1||Sandy Roll|
|Speaker 2||Callie Koehr|
|Evaluator 1||Arvin Elangovan|
|Evaluator 2||Tom Terrific|
|Invocator & Jokemaster||Debbie Young|
|Vote Counter||Charles Giamarino|
|AH Counter||Brent Stewart|
|Best Table Topics||Kathy Denton|
|Best Speaker||Sandy Roll|
|Best Evaluator||Tom Terrific|
|Most Improved||Adam Fox|
Word of the Day: Paternal, used 7 times
Ah Counter Report: 31 uses of crutch words
Meeting Adjourned:7:50 pm
- Sunset Hills Community Center: Jim Salih; Debbie Young; J.D. Perper; Charles Giamarino; Susan McConnell; Steve Winheim; Callie Koehr; Brent Stewart; Adam Fox; Kathy Denton; Bill Collier; Patrick Hunt
- Zoom: Victor Mattison; Sandy Roll; Arvin Elangovan; Tom Terrific; Nancy Alba
- Visitors: Sunset Hills Community Center: Brian Berman
Total Member Attendance 17 out of 29
|Streak||Attendance (5 or more in a row):|
Submitted by Susan McConnell, Secretary