South County Toastmasters Club 1957
Meeting Type/Theme: No Theme
Meeting Location: Sunset Hills Community Center and Zoom
Call to Order: 6:00 PM
Presiding Officer: Jim Salih
President Jim Salih asked if there were any corrections or additions to be made to the meeting minutes of May 25, 2022. The minutes were approved as posted.
President: Jim Salih:
- A newly formed committee of Brent Stewart, Steve Winheim, Bill Collier will confer concerning how to best honor Howard Brandt concerning the influence and contributions he made to the club. All earlier suggestions from members have been presented to the committee and will be considered. Feel free to contact anyone of them to reinforce any ideas that you may have previously presented.
- We have a TLI (Toastmasters Leadership Institute) on Saturday, June 4, on Zoom. All seven in-coming officers please attend. Go to Dist8tm.org for the registration area.You favorite Toastmaster president, Da Prez, will present the presidential portion of the TLI June 4 on Zoom, so feel free to drop in and make faces at him if you want
- Sandy Roll has managed to persuade Tower Tee to let us rent the two Bocce courts for a flat fee which will allow any and all of us to bounce in and out of playing Bocce during those two hours. This is a great help because we wouldn’t know how much to pay Tower Tee if someone bounced in and played only a partial hour. This makes it much easier. Thank Sandy for this. So, the flat rate fee for both Bocce courts for two hours will cost $160.00 plus tax. That cost will have to be borne by any club members who participate in Bocce. If we don’t get enough participation to make it worth our while, we can cancel and get Sandy’s money returned to her up to 48 hours prior to June 18. I will send out an additional email asking how many want to participate in Bocce so we can determine the cost to each individual. For example, if we got 16 who wanted to play, it would be $10.00 + tax per person to share Bocce time with the others. It will be impossible to give everyone equal time but you will get more than enough time to know if you enjoy Bocce and possibly want to go back on your own to play at a later time. Plus, it is fun. Sign up your family also. Watch for Jim’s email.
- Any incoming officers for the July term are welcome to our last Executive Board Meeting on Tuesday, June 14. Please consider who you might want to assist you in your position in case you won’t be available for a period of time. An assistant may also be the next person to hold that job next term and that would make it easier for he/she to transition into that position.
- Question: Has the Zoom audio quality improved over the last few weeks? We did make some tweaks to the settings. Please let Jim know if there are any comments or questions.
VPE: Liz DeCamp. The Toastmaster International Convention will be held in Nashville, TN on August 17-20, 2022. Members can register online or in Nashville. Liz will send an email to all members regarding this event.
VPM: Sandy Roll. The Bocce Ball, Tower Tee Club event is scheduled for Saturday, June 18, 2022 from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM. Besides Bocce Ball, there are many other options for activities, i.e. miniature golf and golf ball driving range. Food will be available for purchase at Tower Tee. Jim Salih will be sending an email to all Club members to request signing up for Bocce Ball. Please look for this email. There is a fee to reserve the Bocce Ball courts and the fee is reduced, the more players who participate.
VPPR: Bill Collier. A series of interviews highlighting Club members has begun and will be posted on Facebook. The first member to be highlighted is Steve Burchett. This series will be done periodically and will be posted on Facebook to bring more attention to SCTM and to highlight the benefits of Toastmasters to attract new members.
TMI Coordinator/Liaison: Debbie Young. No report.
Treasurer: Brent Stewart: Art Schoenberger’s check will be returned since he decided not to become a member of SCTM.
New Business: No report.
Old Business: No report.
Committees: No report.
Correspondence and Announcements: The Sunset Hills Community Center management will inform SCTM when we will need to use the side door to enter the building, due to another event that will occupy the main entrance. At this time, there is one day in June, July and August that the side entrance will need to be used, but we don’t know which days at this point.
Business Meeting Adjourned 6:15 pm
|Table Topics Master||Kathy Denton|
|General Evaluator||J.D. Perper|
|Speaker 1||Jim Salih|
|Speaker 2||Debbie Youn|
|Evaluator 1||Steve Burchett|
|Evaluator 2||Susan McConnell|
|Invocator & Jokemaster||George Kiser|
|Vote Counter||Victor Mattison|
|AH Counter||Steve Winheim|
|Best Table Topics||Victor Mattison|
|Best Speaker||Jim Salih|
|Best Evaluator||Steve Burchett|
|Most Improved||Arvin Elangovan|
Word of the Day: Formidable, used 9 times
Ah Counter Report: 14 uses of crutch words
Meeting Adjourned: 7:50 pm
- Sunset Hills Community Center: Jim Salih; Debbie Young; J.D. Perper; Charles Giamarino; Susan McConnell; Steve Winheim; Julie Zeitler; George Kiser; Rob Van Winkle
- Zoom: Liz DeCamp; Victor Mattison; Sandy Roll; Arvin Elangovan; Kathy Denton; Steve Burchett; Sean Sheehan; Bill Collier
- Visitors: Sunset Hills Community Center: Brian Berman
Total Member Attendance 17 out of 29
|Streak||Attendance (5 or more in a row):|
Submitted by Susan McConnell, Secretary