South County Toastmasters Club 1957
Meeting Type/Theme: Creativity, Howard Brandt Tribute
Meeting Location: Sunset Hills Community Center and Zoom
Call to Order: 6:00 PM
Presiding Officer: Jim Salih
President Jim Salih asked if there were any corrections or additions to be made to the meeting minutes of May 4, 2022. The minutes were approved as posted.
President: Jim Salih:
- The Board is working on a social event for the Club to play bocci on June 18, 2022. Locations being considered are Milo’s and Tower Tee. The final location will be determined in the near future.
- When members are speaking in the room, please move closer to the Owl. This will ensure a clear recording for future reference and for use in drafting meeting minutes.
- The Board and other members met to discuss ideas on how to honor our Club founder, Howard Brandt, who recently passed away. The ideas are listed below:
- Collect videos of Howard to share at the visitation/funeral service.
- Plant a tree in honor of Howard. This would require work to determine a location and costs associated with this memorial.
- Change the Club name to The Howard Brandt Memorial Toastmasters Club.
- Add a subtitle to the existing Club name to include the name Howard Brandt.
- Change the Club nametags to include the name Howard Brandt.
- Submit an article to the Toastmaster International Magazine on Howard Brandt’s creation, leadership and influence of SCTM. A volunteer from the Club would need to write the article.
- Host a night of remembrance in honor of Howard Brandt. There are 5 Wednesdays in June, which would work well in the meeting schedule.
- Honor Howard during the Club Founder’s Day event.
- Create a Club award titled “The Howard Brandt Award.” The criteria for the award would need to be determined.
- A link for photos has been created on the Google drive. Kathy Denton will email the link to all Club members to load any photos onto the link. Kathy will upload this link to the Howard Brandt Memorial Tribute section of the Kutis Funeral Home website. Several members have already added tributes to Howard on this website.
The Business Meeting Adjourned at 6:10 pm
The meeting continued with comments and remembrances of Howard Brandt from Club members.
The Tribute portion of the Meeting Adjourned 6:30 pm
|Table Topics Master||Jim Salih|
|General Evaluator||Victor Mattison|
|Speaker 1||Bill Day|
|Speaker 2||Susan McConnell|
|Evaluator 1||Sandy Roll|
|Evaluator 2||Liz DeCamp|
|Vote Counter||Rob Van Winkle|
|AH Counter||George Kiser|
|Best Table Topics||Rob Van Winkle|
|Best Speaker||Susan McConnell|
|Best Evaluator||Liz DeCamp|
|Most Improved||Bill Day|
Word of the Day: Deliberately, used 3 times
Ah Counter Report: 10 uses of crutch words
Meeting Adjourned: 7:50 pm
- Sunset Hills Community Center: Jim Salih; Debbie Young; J.D. Perper; Charles Giamarino; Rob VanWinkle; Susan McConnell; Julie Zeitler; Kathy Denton; George Kiser; Victor Mattison
- Zoom: Liz DeCamp; Sandy Roll; Nancy Alba; Bill Day; Steve Burchett
- Visitors: Sunset Hills Community Center: Trisha Bowman
Total Member Attendance 15 out of 30
|Streak||Attendance (5 or more in a row):|
Submitted by Susan McConnell, Secretary