South County Toastmasters Club 1957
Meeting Type/Theme: Winter Olympics
Meeting Location: Zoom
Call to Order: 6:00 PM
Presiding Officer: Jim Salih
Word of the Night: Problematic
President Jim Salih asked if there were any corrections or additions to be made to the meeting minutes of January 26, 2022. Hearing none, the minutes were approved as posted.
President: Jim Salih:
- Marketing materials, i.e. posters, signs and brochures are being created to help build membership. These will be distributed throughout the Sunset Hills Community Center within the next 2 weeks.
- Jim Salih ordered a Speechcraft bundle for use in the Speechcraft program. The bundle consists of all the materials needed to conduct the online program. Jim will serve as the coordinator and will start the program on February 21, 2022 which will run for 6 weeks. There is a level 4 elective program titled “Public Relations Strategies” for which any member can receive credit towards an ETM for assisting with promoting this Speechcraft program.
- As outlined in the SCTM bylaws, any officer, except the President, is able to serve more than one consecutive term. This provision may be restrictive. Please send Jim Salih an email to state your opinion on this bylaw. He is considering proposing a change to this bylaw to allow the President to serve more than one consecutive term as outlined for all other officer positions.
- We need a volunteer to write an article, including a photo, about South County Toastmasters to be published in the Sunset Hills Community Center newsletter and/or in the Oakville Call. Please contact Jim Salih if you are interested.
- Please wear your name tag when attending the meetings at Sunset Hills Community Center.
VPE: Liz DeCamp. No report.
VPM: Sandy Roll. The Membership and Public Relations committees have decided to combine into one committee. If you are interested in planning events, posting on social media and assist with growing the club membership, please consider being part of this committee.
VPPR: Bill Collier. He will be working with Steve Burchett to assist with promoting the upcoming Speechcraft program on social media. An updated sign as been completed and will be posted in the lobby of Sunset Hills Community Center during the Wednesday meetings.
TMI Coordinator/Liaison: Debbie Young. She spoke in favor of allowing the club president to serve more than one term. This will give the president more time to guide the club to achieve goals.
Treasurer: Brent Stewart, Tom Terrific. Not present. No report.
Secretary: Susan McConnell. Individual donations from SCTM members have been sent to the Monastery of St. Clare and to St. Mary of Victories Catholic Church. Cover letters were included to inform the organizations that these donations were from South County Toastmasters in memory of Max Kaiser.
Sgt at Arms: Debbie Young. No report.
Committee Reports: No report.
Debbie Young is coordinating the club International Speech and Evaluation contests scheduled for next week, February 9, 2022. Currently there are 2 contestants for each contest. According to the contest rules, the first 2 winners of each contest will advance to the Area contest. Debbie introduced the following motion:
Motion: If SCTM does not get any additional contestants, our executive board can decide prior to the contest who our candidates for the Area contest will be. If they do that, we will still hold our club contest event next Wednesday. We will run it like a contest, but it will be a practice run for our contestants and no one will be disqualified. After that, it will give us a good opportunity to do a trial run of a contest. After that we can have open evaluations where all members can give feedback to the contestants and provide tips for moving onto the next level.
Motion was seconded by Sandy Roll. After discussion the motion passed.
Business Meeting Adjourned 6:15 pm
|Table Topics Master||J.D. Perper|
|General Evaluator||Debbie Young|
|Speaker 1||Patrick Hunt|
|Speaker 2||Victor Mattison|
|Evaluator 1||Sandy Roll|
|Evaluator 2||Bill Collier|
|Invocator & Jokemaster||Rob Van Winkle|
|Vote Counter||Bill Day|
|AH Counter||Kathy Denton|
|Best Table Topics||Steve Burchett|
|Best Speaker||Victor Mattison|
|Most Improved||Arvin Elangovan|
Ah Counter’s Report: 35 uses of “ah”. 10 uses of “so.”
Grammarian’s Report: 6 uses of the word “Problematic”
Meeting Adjourned: 7:50 pm
- Zoom: J.D. Perper; Debbie Young; Steve Burchett; Steve Winheim; Susan McConnell; Bill Collier; Victor Mattison; Jim Salih; Kathy Denton; Sandy Roll; Liz DeCamp; Nancy Alba; Patrick Hunt; Rob Van Winkle; Bill Day; Adam Fox; Arvin Elangovan
Total Member Attendance 17 out of 29
|Streak||Attendance (5 or more in a row):|
Submitted by Susan McConnell, Secretary