A pocket speech is a pre-written speech that you have handy for a last minute speaking opportunity. Every month we seem to end up with at least one meeting that we are short a speaker. This is a wasted opportunity for someone to get closer to one of their communicator awards. Some tips about pocket speeches:
- Select a story that is easy to recall or topic that you are very familiar so you won’t necessarily need to memorize
- Ask a veteran member for tips; most have given at least one pocket speech
- Evaluators certainly take into consideration the last minute nature when evaluating, so don’t worry if you don’t know it perfectly
- Giving a last minute speech can really boost your confidence level
- Once you have a pocket speech, it’s only beneficial if you volunteer to give it!