South County Toastmasters Club 1957
Meeting Type/Theme: Earth Day
Meeting Location: Sunset Hills Community Center and Zoom
Call to Order: 6:00 PM
Presiding Officer: Jim Salih
President Jim Salih asked if there were any corrections or additions to be made to the meeting minutes of March 30, 2022. The minutes were approved as posted.
President: Jim Salih:
- Starting tonight, the timer will announce the timing for Table Topics, Speeches and Evaluations before each of these sections of the meeting. Prior to tonight, the timer announced the timing for all 3 portions of the meeting at the beginning of the meeting, when the timer for the evening was introduced and the timer role was explained.
- An Election Committee has been formed to create the slate of officers for the next term. The members of this Committee are Bill Collier, Sandy Roll, Debbie Young and Jim Salih.
- After tax season, Jim will work with the current Treasurer, Brent Stewart, to create a full Treasurer’s report that will be available online for all members to view anytime.
- Jim encouraged all Club members to record their speeches using their cell phones or the Owl device in the room. Some speeches could be featured on the website. At one time, most people recorded their speeches. Jim encouraged the members to start this practice once again.
- Beginning in October, the Club will have to start paying for a Zoom account. Currently the Club is using Jim Salih’s pro-account, but he will not be renewing this pro-account. A pro-account is available through District 8 and SCTM may be able to share the cost with another club, such as Jeffco Challengers. The annual fee would be $37.50 if the account is shared with another club.
- The District 8 conference is scheduled for April 22-23, 2022. Anyone interested in registering for the trivia night fundraiser for the prison clubs, the link to register is: https://dist8tm.org/trivia-night-roberts-drummond-inmate-scholarship-fund/. Anyone interested in attending the conference, the link to register is: https://dist8tm.org/wp-store-locator/conferences/
- Debbie Young has replaced Bill Day as Sergeant-at-Arms. She could use some help setting up the equipment every week for the meeting. Charles Giamarino volunteered to assist Debbie.
- The current Treasurer, Brent Stewart, will continue serving in this role for next term. Tom Terrific will continue to be the backup Treasurer.
- Susan McConnell will contact Brent Stewart to ask about Howard Brandt. The Club members would like a report on how Howard is doing.
VPE: Liz DeCamp. No report.
VPM: Sandy Roll. No report.
VPPR: Bill Collier. No report.
TMI Coordinator/Liaison: Debbie Young. As Sergeant-at-Arms, Debbie is cleaning out old equipment that is no longer used. A video camera is available to anyone who could use this equipment. Otherwise, it will be donated to a church or other organization. Debbie would like a regular back-up for the Sergeant-at-Arms position. She arrives to the meetings 30 minutes early every week to set up the equipment. Anyone interested in assisting is welcome.
Speakers Bureau: Kathy Denton. No report.
Treasurer: Tom Terrific. No report.
Secretary: Susan McConnell. No report.
Sgt at Arms: Bill Day. No report.
Susan McConnell read acknowledgement letters from St. Mary of Victories Catholic Church and from the Monastery of St. Clare for donations made by members of SCTM in memory of former member Max Kaiser.
New Business: No report.
Committees: No report.
Correspondence and Announcements:
Kathy Denton reminded the members about the Club Speakers Bureau. Anyone interested in giving a speech outside of the Club, can write a paragraph about the speech topic and Kathy will add it to the SCTM website. Any money collected for giving a speech needs to be given to SCTM. No personal funds are allowed to be collected.
J.D. Perper will be giving a musical concert on April 25, 2022. He will email the details to Club members.
Business Meeting Adjourned 6:15 pm
|Table Topics Master||Debbie Young|
|General Evaluator||Bill Day|
|Speaker 1||Patrick Hunt|
|Speaker 2||Adam Fox|
|Evaluator 1||J.D. Perper|
|Evaluator 2||Victor Mattison|
|Invocator & Jokemaster||Jim Salih|
|Vote Counter||George Kiser|
|AH Counter||Charles Giamarino|
|Best Table Topics||George Kiser|
|Best Speaker||Adam Fox|
|Best Evaluator||Victor Mattison|
|Most Improved||Adam Fox|
Ah Counter’s Report: 15 uses of crutch words
Grammarian’s Report: 4 uses of the word “Terraform”
Meeting rating: 9.8
Meeting Adjourned: 7:50 pm
- Sunset Hills Community Center: Jim Salih; Debbie Young; Susan McConnell; Adam Fox; George Kiser; J.D. Perper; Callie Koehr; Charles Giamarino; Victor Mattison; Bill Day
- Zoom: Sandy Roll; Nancy Alba; Kathy Denton; Arvin Elangovan
- Visitors at Sunset Hills Community Center: Art Schoenberger
Total Member Attendance 14 out of 29
|Streak||Attendance (5 or more in a row):|
Submitted by Susan McConnell, Secretary