South County Toastmasters Club 1957
Meeting Type/Theme: No Theme
Meeting Location: Sunset Hills Community Center and Zoom
Call to Order: 6:00 PM
Presiding Officer: Jim Salih
Word of the Night: Collaborative
President Jim Salih asked if there were any corrections or additions to be made to the meeting minutes of March 16, 2022. Steve Burchett made a motion to accept the minutes. J.D. Perper seconded the motion. The minutes were approved as posted.
President: Jim Salih:
- The dues for club membership need to be submitted this week. Send checks to the acting Treasurer, Tom Terrific. Please send a check for $76.00 made out to South County Toastmasters. Tom’s address is: 9016 Robyn Rd., Crestwood, MO 63126. No electronic payments can be accepted at this time.
- A Speechcraft class is still being planned. At this point, a start date has not been determined.
- The Facebook and Instagram posts about South County Toastmasters have been reviewed and shared. Thanks to the social media team for getting the club started on more social media.
- Jim proposed the following: To change the announcements of the times for Table Topics, Speeches and Evaluations from the beginning of the meeting, to announcing the times at the beginning of each section (Table Topics, Speeches and Evaluations) during the meeting. This way, it would be clearer for visitors to understand and to follow. South County Toastmasters desires to follow the procedures done for all Toastmasters contests, which is to announce the times for Table Topics, Speeches and Evaluations at the beginning of each section during the regular meetings.
- The South County Toastmasters elections should be done by the beginning of May. Toastmasters International offers club officer training in June. In order to attend the training, elections will have to be completed by this time. This is new for our club, but we need to start following this time frame. Jim will contact club members to form an election committee.
VPE: Liz DeCamp. No report.
VPM: Sandy Roll. No report.
VPPR: Bill Collier. Bill and Steve Burchett are working on improving the South County Toastmasters Facebook posts. They are proposing to interview club members about their experiences with SCTM and to post the interviews on Facebook. If any club members are interested in sharing their story/experiences about SCTM, send Bill an email to start the process.
TMI Coordinator/Liaison: Debbie Young. A reminder about the District 8 conference scheduled for April 22 – 23, 2022. It will begin on Friday night with the Evaluation contest. There will also be a trivia night fundraiser for the prison Toastmasters clubs in Missouri. If interested in participating in the trivia night, the link to register is: https://dist8tm.org/trivia-night-roberts-drummond-inmate-scholarship-fund/
The conference will continue on Saturday morning with a keynote Speaker. Educational programs will be offered during the day. There will also be another networking event. The International Speech Contest will be on Saturday night. The winner of the International Speech Contest will advance to the Regional Contest. There is no charge to participate in any of the conference programs. If anyone is interested in attending the conference, the link to register is: https://dist8tm.org/wp-store-locator/conferences/
Speakers Bureau: Kathy Denton. No report
Treasurer: Tom Terrific. Dues need to be turned in ASAP. Most of the current members, 98%, will be continuing their club membership.
Secretary: Susan McConnell. No report.
Sgt at Arms: Bill Day. No report.
Old Business: No report.
- Patrick Hunt made the following motion, seconded by George Kiser: “To make Howard Brandt a South County Toastmasters member for life and the club will pay his dues.” The motion passed unanimously. This will begin immediately.
- Charles Giamarino submitted his application for club membership. After the visitors were escorted out the room, discussion about Charles’ application followed. Tom Terrific made a motion, seconded by Susan McConnell, to accept Charles Giamarino’s application for club membership. The motion passed unanimously. Jim Salih presented the induction. His mentor will be Tom Terrific.
Business Meeting Adjourned 6:30 pm
|Table Topics Master||Patrick Hunt|
|General Evaluator||Susan McConnell|
|Speaker 1||George Kiser|
|Speaker 2||Bill Day|
|Evaluator 1||Bill Collier|
|Evaluator 2||Jim Salih|
|Invocator & Jokemaster||Sean Sheehan|
|Vote Counter||Steve Winheim|
|AH Counter||Arvin Elangovan|
|Best Table Topics||Susan McConnell|
|Best Speaker||George Kiser|
|Best Evaluator||Jim Salih|
|Most Improved||Bill Day|
Ah Counter’s Report: 10 uses of “ums” or “ahs”
Grammarian’s Report: 9 uses of the word “Collaborative”
Meeting Adjourned: 7:50 pm
- Sunset Hills Community Center: Jim Salih; Debbie Young; Susan McConnell; Adam Fox; Steve Winheim; Tom Terrific; Patrick Hunt; George Kiser
- Zoom: Sandy Roll; Bill Collier; Sean Sheehan; Bill Day; Arvin Elangovan; Nancy Alba; J.D. Perper; Steve Burchett
- Visitors at Sunset Hills Community Center: Charles Giamarino; Julie Zeitler
Total Member Attendance 16 out of 29
|Streak||Attendance (5 or more in a row):|
Submitted by Susan McConnell, Secretary