South County Toastmasters Club 1957
Meeting Type/Theme: Good Deeds
Meeting Location: Sunset Hills Community Center/Zoom
Call to Order: 6:00 PM
Presiding Officer: Jim Salih
Word of the Night: Obscure
President Jim Salih welcomed Don Stuewe as a visitor to the club. He explained why is was visiting our club.
President Jim Salih asked if there were any corrections or additions to be made to the meeting minutes of January 12, 2022. Hearing none, the minutes were approved as posted.
President: Jim Salih:
- The SCTM Evaluation contest and International Speech contest will be held on February 9, 2022. The entire contest will be held via Zoom. Debbie Young will serve as contest chair. The Area contest will be on February 19, 2022, via Zoom.
- A Speechcraft coordinator is still needed. Ideally, it would be best to have 6 classes for Speechcraft. Please contact Jim if you are interested in being the Speechcraft coordinator.
- Flowers were sent to the church for Max Kaiser’s funeral service. Susan McConnell is still collecting donations for St. Mary of Victories Catholic Church and Monastery of St. Clare. She will collect money from any club members who are interested in contributing to these organizations on behalf of the club. PLEASE GIVE SUSAN YOUR DONATION BY JANUARY 27, 2022. She will collect the money in person at the meetings or send a check made out to Susan McConnell and mail it to her home address: 916 Wynhaven Lane, Manchester, MO 63011. Another option for providing contributions is to send a donation to Jim Salih’s Venmo account, @jimsalih.
- Please start wearing name tags. Blank name tags are available in the supply box for new members or anyone who does not currently have a name tag.
- Please send Jim Salih an email stating “yes” or “no” regarding opening a Venmo account for the club.
VPE: Liz DeCamp. No report.
VPM: Sandy Roll. No report.
VPPR: Bill Collier. No report.
TMI Liaison: Debbie Young. No report.
Treasurer: Tom Terrific. No report.
Secretary: Susan McConnell. In response to an email from Steve Burchett regarding electronic donations for Max Kaiser, please use the Venmo account for Jim Salih, as discussed earlier this evening.
Sgt at Arms: Debbie Young. No report.
Committee Reports: No report.
New Business: Applications for club membership from Arvin Elangovan and Adam Fox and were reviewed. A motion to accept the application for Arvin Elangovan was presented by Tom Terrific and seconded by Rob Van Winkle. The motion passed unanimously. A motion to accept the application for Adam Fox was presented by Steve Burchett and seconded by J.D. Perper. The motion passed unanimously. Arvin Elangovan and Adam Fox and were inducted as members of SCTM. Patrick Hunt will serve as a mentor for Arvin Elangovan. Jim Salih will serve as a mentor for Adam Fox.
Correspondence and Announcements:
- Debbie Young will serve as contest chair for the upcoming Evaluation and International Speech contests. Debbie is looking for volunteers and participants. The contests will be done on-line, via Zoom. Per Jim Salih, the first and second place winners of the club contest will advance to the Area contests on February 19, 2022.
- In follow-up from Steve Burchett’s speech, anyone interested in learning about how to become more creative, please refer to this link: https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/career-development/creativity-exercise
Business Meeting Adjourned 6:20 pm
|Toastmaster||J. D. Perper|
|Table Topics Master||Bill Collier|
|General Evaluator||Tom Terrific|
|Speaker 1||Steve Burchett|
|Speaker 2||Kathy Denton|
|Evaluator 1||Rob Van Winkle|
|Evaluator 2||Susan McConnell|
|Invocator & Jokemaster||George Kiser|
|Vote Counter||Jeff Hoehn|
|AH Counter||Debbie Young|
|Best Table Topics||Adam Fox|
|Best Speaker||Steve Burchett|
|Best Evaluator||Rob Van Winkle|
|Most Improved||Adam Fox|
Ah Counter’s Report: 12, includes uses of
Grammarian’s Report: 5 uses of the word “Obscure”
Meeting Adjourned: 7:45 pm
- Sunset Hills Community Center: J.D. Perper; Debbie Young; Steve Burchett; Steve Winheim; Kathy Denton; George Kiser; Jeff Hoehn; Rob Van Winkle
- Zoom: Jim Salih; Sandy Roll; Victor Mattison; Bill Collier; Tom Terrific; Adam Fox; Susan McConnell; Arvin Elangovan
- Guests: Sunset Hills Community Center: Don Stuewe
Total Member Attendance 16 out of 31
|Streak||Attendance (5 or more in a row):|
Submitted by Susan McConnell, Secretary