|Meeting Date:||January 22, 2020|
|Meeting Type/Theme:||Regular Meeting – Theme: Success Through Synergy|
|Meeting Location:||Metropolitan Life Building|
|Called to Order:||7:00 PM|
|Presiding Officer:||JD Perper, President|
|Submitted By:||Victor Mattison, Secretary|
- JD shared that he will be away from the club starting in mid-February for about 6-weeks. Per the club’s governing documents the EVP, Kathy Denton, is the second in command and will assume leadership of the club in JDs absence.
- Debbie Young announced the club speech content will be held on February 5. There is a need for both contest officials and speakers. The contest will include both Humorous Speaking and International (which means it’s a general speech, not required to be of any particular type or style). Find here a copy of the 2019-20 Speech Contest Rulebook. Anyone who is interested to help or speak should contact Debbie.
- Victor Mattison shared that the club officers met prior to the meeting to discuss the relocation of the club to the Sunset Hills Community Center and the additional cost this will incur. Our first meeting will be held there on March 4. met to discuss options to address this additional cost. We discussed several options (which have been previously shared with the club) but, in the end, voted unanimously to recommend to the club membership that this cost be paid for by increasing the per-term cost to $76 per member. Here’s how that covers the incremental $2,000 per year. Our membership moves up and down but is, on average, about 40 members. So, at $50 per member per year ($25 for each of the two 6-month terms) we can pay for the upgrade to a new and better meeting place. We recognized that this increase may cause hardship to some and we feel STRONGLY that we not lose members due to any members’ temporary cash-crunch (which we’ve all struggled through from time to time). If this is your circumstance, DO NOT QUIT – please see the club Treasurer (Patrick Hunt) who has been authorized to help. In such a case, Patrick will confirm his intent with the club President (JD Perper) and your request for assistance will otherwise be kept in confidence. The other officers and club members will not be told the name of anyone who requests help. Victor said this plan will be shared via this email so everyone has a chance to read and understand it. We will vote on a motion for this to be adopted at the regular club meeting next week, January 29, 2020.
- Kathy Denton shared details about the VPE role and how meetings are scheduled. She reminded members that the VPE sends a notice out a few weeks before the start of each month asking for any role requests or days you’ll be unavailable. She uses this information to plan meetings. If a member plans to be absent it’s important to so notify the VPE prior to that month’s scheduling. If you don’t indicate you’ll be absent or with other instructions you are subject to being scheduled for any role, including that of speaker. She recommends that all members check their email sufficiently often as to timely receive these important planning emails. Once the month’s meetings have been scheduled and posted, if you can not attend a meeting it is your responsibility to find a replacement and notify the Toastmaster and GE of that meeting.
- Minutes from each of the January 8 and January 15 meetings were approved.
- The club welcomed new member Bob Mahacek. Sean Sheehan has been asked to serve as his mentor.
|Table Topics:||Kat Higashino|
|General Evaluator:||George Kiser|
|Time Keeper:||Jim Salih|
|Camera Operator:||Sean Sheehan|
|Invocator / CLE:||Jerry Paul|
|Joke Master:||Rob Van Winkle|
|Hot Seat:||Sandy Roll|
|Vote Counter:||Jim Salih|
|Ah Counter:||Make McCarty|
Word of the Day: Lassitude, used 2 times
Speakers and Evaluators:
|1||Bill Collier||Victor Mattison|
|2||Alan Kirby||JD Perper|
|3||Jackie Harr||Susan McConnell|
|Most Improved:||Jackie Harr|
|Best Table Topics:||Kathy Denton|
|Best Evaluator:||Susan McConnell|
|Best Speaker||Bill Collier|
Meeting Rating: 9.0
Meeting Adjourned: 8:45 PM
This will later be shared via a link to the attendance records but, for now, here’s who attended this week:
|Van Winkle, Robert|
Secretary’s Attendance Information:
|YTD highest weekly %||64.10%||January 8, 2020|
|YTD lowest weekly %||41.00%||January 22, 2020|
Members with more than 75% attendance:
|Van Winkle, Robert||100%|
As we get through the next few meetings you’ll see additional statistics such as:
- Attendance Records from January 2020 – present by person
- Longest Current Streaks per person
- YTD Attendance ranked by attendance
- Weekly Award Winners and Words of the Day
One thought on “Meeting Minutes South County – Toastmasters (#1957) – January 22, 2020”
Thank you for posting this.Here is a slightly augmented section concerning VPE scheduling, which I think should be under officer reports or correspondence and announcements. Kathy Denton shared details about the VPE role and how meetings are scheduled. She reminded members that the VPE sends a notice out a few weeks before the start of each month asking for any role requests or days youâll be unavailable. She uses this information to plan meetings. If a member plans to be absent itâs important to so notify the VPE prior to that month’s scheduling. If you donât indicate youâll be absent or with other instructions you are subject to being scheduled for any role, including that of speaker. She recommends that all members check their email sufficiently often as to timely receive these important planning emails. Once the month’s meetings have been scheduled and posted, if you can not attend a meeting it is your responsibility to find a replacement. Thank you,Kathy