Regular Meeting Minutes of South County Toastmasters Club # 1957
Meeting Date: Wednesday November 9, 2011
Called To Order At: 7:01 PM
Location: Met – Life Lower Level CAFETERIA
THEME: Veterans and Veteran’s Day
Presiding Officer: Kathy Denton
Toastmaster: Brian Ettling
General Evaluator: Don Clair
Time Keeper: Joanne Korba
Ah Counter: Traci Cahill (correction from Tom)
Vote Counter: Ben McNabb
Grammarian: Petrini Monti “FIGMENT”
Invocator: Kevin Reichardt
Camera Operator: Aidan Griffin
Table Topics: Jerry Paul/ Government Issue Joseph
Joke Master Carl Hendrickson
Hot Seat: Steve Winheim
Greeter: Steve Winheim
The minutes from last week’s November 2nd meeting were accepted as sent via Turbo Base/e-mail to all members.
Kevin Wilson as the immediate past President of SCTM, announced that he has been appointed to head the Nomination Committee for the search of future office holders/ leaders of SCTM.
If you have an interest in one of these officer positions please contact Kevin in the coming weeks.
Nominations for officers for the upcoming term January 1 – June 30 is now open. It is not too early to start thinking about becoming an officer.
The Officer/ Leadership Positions are:
President, VP – Education, VP – Membership, VP – Public Relations, Secretary, Treasurer, Sergeant-at-Arms and Officer-at-Large
A further description of each office is listed in your club manual and in the constitution bylaws document – Article V Duties of Officers.
Note: Current office holders, except President Kathy are eligible to be re-elected for successive terms.
EDUCATION: Carl Hendrickson announced that all of the available speaking slots for the upcoming speech marathon on November 30th have been filled. Nilsa Scott is to publish the schedule/ roles soon. Irregular meeting format. No Table Topics, etc.
SPEECHCRAFT COMMITTEE: Dianne Fawcett and Don Clair volunteered to chair and assist a future SPEECHCRAFT WORKSHOP. Contact Dianne or Don if you’d care to assist with mentoring and with ALL TM roles needed for the 8 week workshop. More info to follow.
HOLIDAY PARTY COMMITTEE: Dianne Fawcett volunteered to chair the committee to plan the holiday party next month. If interested in assisting, please contact Dianne. Many others are needed to help with planning.
The revised draft of the letter to Ms. Vicki Poinsett of Cushman Wakefield was read and approved unanimously by all in attendance. The letter expresses thanks and appreciation to the property manager, Met-Life and their security for the continued use of this wonderful facility.
• President Kathy Denton formed a SPEECH CRAFT Committee to explore a workshop for the first half of 2012.
• President Kathy Denton called for SCTM help with the holiday party next month. New Holiday Party Committee formed.
• Joanne Korba received her Competent Communicator award from ToastMasters International. Joanne completed ten (10) speeches from the CC manual to earn her CC Certificate. Congratulations Joanne !!!
• Don Clair received his Advanced Communicator Bronze award from ToastMasters International. Don completed ten (10) speeches from two (2) separate project manuals to earn his ACB Certificate. Congratulations Don !!!
• The club voted to NOT have a meeting 12.21.11
• The club voted to have a meeting 12.28.11
• Adam Kutell volunteered to be the Contest Chair for an upcoming Tall Tales Contest February 29, 2012. More information to follow. Coordinate with SpeechCraft schedule.
(Correction by Adam Kutell)
“I believe my message regarding contest chair was not fully recorded in the minutes. Rich or Steve B., please let the minutes be amended to say that I mentioned that I would do a tall tales contest or if an official contest was intended for that time-frame that I would chair the official contest. I did not mention anything about speechcraft, that was a different meeting topic.”
CORRESPONDENCE & ANNOUNCEMENTS:
• No Meeting Wednesday November 23rd Happy Thanksgiving!
• Meeting Wednesday November 30th SPEECH MARATHON
• No Meeting Wednesday December 21st Happy Holidays!
• There WILL be a meeting December 28th the Wednesday between the holidays.
• Dee McAliney brought in a Wall Street Journal Article published 11.3.11 written by Elizabeth Garone tiled “ Improving your, um, you know, public speaking” http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203687504577004463395346438.html
Thanks Dee for bringing this to our attention.
• Toastmasters from around the district will converge in Jefferson City Friday and Saturday November 18th & 19th donning cowboy boots and hats in anticipation of the District 8 Fall Conference, “the Wild Wild West.” Let’s make sure you are fully prepared. Did you volunteer to serve as a functionary for the Table Topics and Humorous Speech Contest? Functionaries needed. See http://www.dist8tm.org or Contact Elaine Tilman at firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer.
• Free workshop on Thursday November 17th in Clayton Missouri with award winning ToastMaster Darren LaCroix. For more info see the link. http://www.dist8tm.org/docs/LaCroix%20Nov%202011.pdf
• Carole Breckner, email@example.com announced that she is excited that she has been chosen to serve as an Muscular Dystrophy Association, MDA Jailbird and is being Locked-Up…that’s right, put away, behind bars to help Jerry’s Kids©. In order to be released on good behavior, she needs help to raise her “bail.”
Bail has been set at $1,000.00 and if everyone makes a tax-deductible donation, she’ll reach her goal quickly!
Just click here to make a secure, online donation before next Thursday 11/17/11. This is a fun event benefiting individuals and families served by MDA who are affected by neuromuscular disease. I am honored to partner with MDA, and help this important cause.
SPEAKERS & EVALUATORS:
Speaker 1: Laurie Mestagh
Speaker 2: Kelli Bottini
Speaker 3: Carole Breckner
Evaluator 1: Rich Lifka
Evaluator 2: Rob Van Winkle
Evaluator 3: Dianne Fawcett
Most Improved: Kelli Bottini
Best Evaluator: Rob Van Winkle
Best Table Topics: Bill Collier
Best Speaker: Laurie Mestdagh “The Art of Being Alive”
Rating for the meeting: 9.3
Meeting adjourned at 9:05 pm
Carole Breckner, Jeffco Challengers
Rich Lifka, Jeffco Challengers
Rob Van Winkle