South County Toastmasters Club 1957
Meeting Type/Theme: Independence Day
Meeting Location: Sunset Hills Community Center and Zoom
Call to Order: 6:00 PM
Presiding Officer: Jim Salih
President Jim Salih asked if there were any corrections or additions to be made to the meeting minutes of June 22, 2022. Nancy Alba made a motion to approve the minutes. The motion was seconded by Brent Stewart. The minutes were approved as posted.
President: Jim Salih: No report.
VPE: Liz DeCamp. No report.
VPM: Sandy Roll. SCTM will be participating in a community fair sponsored by the Sunset Hills Community Center. It is scheduled for Wednesday, August 10, 2022 from 6:00 – 8:00. This is to promote Toastmasters and to potentially attract new members.
VPPR: Bill Collier. Bill is working on a committee consisting of Steve Winheim, Carl Hendrickson and Brent Stewart to establish an ongoing tribute to the founder of SCTM, Howard Brandt. Some of the ideas recommended by the committee are listed below:
- Donation to the Alzheimer’s Association. This was a request from Howard’s family when he passed. The Club has already made a donation in memory of Howard Brandt.
- Establish a South County Toastmaster of the Year Award in honor of Howard Brandt. It may be named The Howard Brandt Toastmaster of the Year Award. This would be awarded every year at the Founder’s Day meeting in October. More details will be decided at a future time.
- Since Howard was a strong Catholic, a mass will be ordered to be said in Howard’s honor.
- Form a Howard Brandt Excellence Committee to ensure the standards that Howard established for Club meetings and procedures are maintained.
- Continue to collect photos of Howard from SCTM meetings and events to be loaded onto a Google drive for everyone to access.
TMI Coordinator/Liaison: Debbie Young. No report.
Speakers Bureau: Kathy Denton. No report.
Treasurer: Brent Stewart. No report.
Old Business: No report.
New Business: Suzanne Janick was inducted into SCTM as a new member. Susan McConnell will serve as her mentor.
Committees: No report.
Correspondence and Announcements:
J.D. Perper will be printing business cards for his project to recognize good deeds done by people in the community. J.D. asked the Club members to be mindful of who receives the cards. Only give the cards to those who are deserving of an award and not to just anyone who attends a meeting or who is kind. J.D. would like to post the names of the award recipients on the SCTM website. He asked if we needed permission to post the names. This will be discussed by the incoming Executive Committee next month.
Business Meeting Adjourned 6:15 pm
|Table Topics Master||Callie Koehr|
|General Evaluator||Jim Salih|
|Speaker 1||George Kiser|
|Speaker 2||Liz DeCamp|
|Evaluator 1||Patrick Hunt|
|Evaluator 2||J.D. Perper|
|Vote Counter||Julie Zeitler|
|AH Counter||Debbie Young|
|Best Table Topics||Sean Sheehan|
|Best Speaker||Liz DeCamp|
|Best Evaluator||Patrick Hunt|
|Most Improved||Charles Giamarino|
Word of the Day: Revolutionary, used 4 times
Ah Counter Report: 32 uses of crutch words
Meeting Adjourned:7:50 pm
- Sunset Hills Community Center: Jim Salih; Debbie Young; J.D. Perper; Susan McConnell; Brent Stewart; Rob Van Winkle; Julie Zeitler; George Kiser; Callie Koehr; Charles Giamarino; Bill Collier; Nancy Alba
- Zoom: Liz DeCamp; Patrick Hunt; Adam Fox; Sandy Roll; Sean Sheehan
- Visitors: Sunset Hills Community Center: Suzanne Janick; Carl Hendrickson
- Visitors: Zoom: Brian Berman; Umanga de Silva
Total Member Attendance 17 out of 29
|Streak||Attendance (5 or more in a row):|
Submitted by Susan McConnell, Secretary