South County Toastmasters Club 1957
Meeting Type/Theme: Summer Plans
Meeting Location: Sunset Hills Community Center and Zoom
Call to Order: 6:00 PM
Presiding Officer: Jim Salih
President Jim Salih asked if there were any corrections or additions to be made to the meeting minutes of May 18, 2022. The minutes were approved as posted.
President: Jim Salih:
- We will develop a definitive internet photo policy based on TMI rules. In my opinion, it cannot require a member to opt out of having their picture published. It must require a member to opt-in to having their picture published on the Internet. That seems the fairest policy. Blurring faces is an option if people have not opted in.
- TLI (Toastmasters Leadership Institute) will be held via Zoom on June 4. All officers please sign up. Here is the link to register: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfSFGvGMGxg03PtRvUrJ2Cw_Ju-B03PLDzT3iHxdA9FKwIDtw/viewform. There should be make-up sessions later.
- The tech committee is still at work consolidating and organizing our tech and accounts.
- We now have a Club Events Calendar online. It is viewable but updates are still being made. Soon, there will be a link to it on the opening page of southcountytoastmasters.org.
- Be prepared to be asked by an incoming officer if you want to be an assistant or be on a committee for a particular office. We need assistants and committees for different officer positions to keep a consistency of goals and policies from one term of officers to the next. We don’t want each new term of officers to have to reinvent the wheel.
- Our finances will be online very soon. You will hear a speech about it tonight (Wednesday) which will also include information on electronic payments. Electronic payments will always be optional. Payments by cash or check are always welcome.
- South County Toastmasters Fun Day at Tower Tee on June 18. Start arriving around 11:00 am. We can play Bocce, par-3, hit baseballs or softballs, play on the putting green, or drive golf balls. There will be no admission but there will be a cost to the activities either by paying for court time or buying a bucket of golf balls, etc. You can just come to mingle and it will cost you nothing. There is a fairly large restaurant area in which to eat and to escape from any inclement weather and to enjoy air-conditioning. Bring friends and family. Sandy Roll is leading this.
- SCTM Name Change Suggestion. Jim feels that the Club can best memorialize Howard by honoring him with a club name change to “The Howard C. Brandt Memorial Toastmaster Club.” This name change will be the longest lasting and most impactful type of honor we can give, and it will impress the toastmaster world whenever they see our club name at a district or even world event. It may cost some money to change domain names and any business cards and it could lead to work for a number of us, but we can get it done. Let’s decide now and should we choose not to, then we can move on to something else. This proposal will ultimately come to a vote of the members after much discussion.
Please comment on anything about this club name change proposal including the cost, the logistics of changing the name, and what impact or lack thereof this change would make.
The name change suggestion was discussed by the Club members.
a. Victor Mattison suggested forming a “Howard Brandt Memorial Scholarship” and inviting a high school student, over 18, to become a member. Another suggestion was to change the name of the Youth Leadership program to “The Howard Brandt Memorial Youth Leadership Program.” These changes would be in lieu of changing the Club name.
b. Steve Burchett suggested creating a Club Toastmaster of the year award and naming it “The Howard Brandt Excellence Award.” This award could be presented to a Club member every year on Founder’s Day in lieu of changing the Club name.
c. Susan McConnell suggested creating a way to recognize Howard Brandt throughout the year as well as once a year “Excellence Award.”
9. In June, July and August, for one week each month, the Sunset Hills Community Center management is asking the Club meeting attendees to use the side door to enter the building. The main entrance will be unavailable due to a special event.
10. All speakers during the meeting, please raise your voices and speak into the OWL so that everyone in the room and on ZOOM can hear your voices clearly.
VPE: Liz DeCamp. Jim Salih and Liz will meet with Sandy Roll to discuss June 29th.
VPM: Sandy Roll. No report.
VPPR: Bill Collier. No report.
TMI Coordinator/Liaison: Debbie Young. No report.
Speakers Bureau: Kathy Denton. No report.
Treasurer: Brent Stewart: No report.
New Business: No report.
Old Business: No report.
Committees: No report.
Correspondence and Announcements: No report
Business Meeting Adjourned 6:15 pm
|Table Topics Master||Susan McConnell|
|General Evaluator||Steve Burchett|
|Speaker 1||Liz DeCamp|
|Speaker 2||Adam Fox|
|Speaker 3||Brent Stewart|
|Evaluator 1||Patrick Hunt|
|Evaluator 2||Victor Mattison|
|Evaluator 3||Bill Collier|
|Invocator & Jokemaster||Charles Giamarino|
|Vote Counter||Bill Day|
|AH Counter||Steve Winheim|
|Best Table Topics||Carl Hendrickson|
|Best Speaker||Liz DeCamp|
|Best Evaluator||Victor Mattison|
|Most Improved||Adam Fox|
Word of the Day: Evoliant, used 3 times
Ah Counter Report: 28 uses of crutch words
Meeting Adjourned:7:50 pm
- Sunset Hills Community Center: Jim Salih; Debbie Young; J.D. Perper; Charles Giamarino; Susan McConnell; Steve Winheim; Bill Collier; Patrick Hunt; Steve Burchett; Carl Hendrickson; Art Schoenberger; Adam Fox
- Zoom: Liz DeCamp; Nancy Alba; Victor Mattison; Bill Day
- Visitors: Sunset Hills Community Center: Carl Hendrickson
Total Member Attendance 16 out of 30
|Streak||Attendance (5 or more in a row):|
Submitted by Susan McConnell, Secretary