South County Toastmasters Club 1957
Meeting Type/Theme: Easter
Meeting Location: Sunset Hills Community Center and Zoom
Call to Order: 6:00 PM
Presiding Officer: Jim Salih
President Jim Salih asked if there were any corrections or additions to be made to the meeting minutes of April 13, 2022. Tom Terrific made a motion to accept the minutes. Charles Giamarino seconded the motion. The minutes were approved as posted.
President: Jim Salih:
- Tom Terrific, aka Tom Krauska, has secured a free Canva Pro account for SCTM. This system can be used for editing and posting photos, similar to Photoshop, but a more user friendly system. Contact Tom for sign-in information. This is available to the Club members for SCTM use at any time.
- The person serving in the role as timer will explain the timing procedures for Table Topics, Speeches and Evaluations before each of these sections of the meeting, rather than at the beginning of the meeting when the timer is introduced, and the role is explained.
- Jim encouraged all Club members to record their speeches using their cell phones or the Owl device in the room. It is good practice to review recorded speeches for self-evaluation and to find areas for improvement.
- The District 8 virtual conference is scheduled for April 22-23, 2022. Anyone interested in registering for the trivia night fundraiser for the prison clubs, the link to register is: https://dist8tm.org/trivia-night-roberts-drummond-inmate-scholarship-fund/. Members interested in participating in the trivia night, but are not part of an existing team, will be assigned to a team when they register. There is a charge for trivia night participation. Anyone interested in attending the conference, the link to register is: https://dist8tm.org/wp-store-locator/conferences/. Many educational programs are offered throughout the day on Saturday, April 23rd, all free of charge. Full day participation is not required.
- Jim will donate the SCTM video camera to District 8 Toastmasters. This equipment can be used for District functions.
- The Toastmasters International website is being upgraded through May 8, 2022. Members may experience delays or trouble accessing this website until the upgrade is completed.
- With the induction of Charles Giamarino a few weeks ago, SCTM has completed all the requirements to become a President’s Distinguished Toastmaster Club.
- Beginning tonight, Jim will set up his IPad online so the timer can hold up the cards in front of the IPad rather than the timer holding up the green, yellow and red cards in front of the OWL camera. This will require the Zoom Master to pin the speaker, so they will be able to see the timer cards.
- Due to the rearrangement of the room in the Sunset Hills Community Center, speakers using PowerPoint presentations will need to move the lectern to the opposite end of the room and move the OWL closer to where the person is speaking. The PowerPoint will be displayed behind the speaker, but the computer monitor will be visible from the lectern.
VPE: Liz DeCamp. J.D. Perper would like SCTM members to assist him with his speech scheduled for April 27, 2022. Liz sent out an email with the details. Please contact Liz or J.D. with any questions.
VPM: Sandy Roll. No report.
VPPR: Bill Collier. Bill asked the SCTM members to continue to “like” the FaceBook posts and share the posts with friends.
TMI Coordinator/Liaison: Debbie Young. No report.
Speakers Bureau: Kathy Denton. Anyone interested in speaking outside of the Club, send Kathy a paragraph describing the topic of the speech. She will post it on the Speakers Bureau section of the SCTM website.
Treasurer: Tom Terrific. No report.
Secretary: Susan McConnell. No report.
Sgt at Arms: Debbie Young. No report.
Old Business: No report.
New Business: Julie Zeitler submitted an application for SCTM membership. After discussion, Rob Van Winkle made a motion to accept her application. J.D. Perper seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously. Julie Zeitler was inducted into the Club as a member of SCTM. Her mentor will be Sandy Roll.
Committees: No report.
Correspondence and Announcements:
- Brent Stewart reported on Howard Brandt. Brent passed around a card for everyone to sign. Brent will try to visit Howard in the hospital later this week.
- J.D. Perper will be giving a free concert in the activity room of his apartment complex next Monday night, April 25, 2022 at 7:00 PM. Details have been emailed to all SCTM members.
Business Meeting Adjourned 6:20 pm
|Table Topics Master||Jim Salih|
|General Evaluator||Tom Terrific|
|Grammarian||Rob Van Winkle|
|Speaker 1||Charles Giamarino|
|Speaker 2||Steve Burchett|
|Evaluator 1||J.D. Perper|
|Evaluator 2||Bill Collier|
|Invocator & Jokemaster||Adam Fox|
|Vote Counter||Brent Stewart|
|AH Counter||Kathy Denton|
|Best Table Topics||Victor Mattison|
|Best Speaker||Steve Burchett|
|Best Evaluator||Bill Collier|
|Most Improved||Charles Giamarino|
Word of the Day: Elicit, used 6 times
Meeting Adjourned: 7:45 pm
- Sunset Hills Community Center: Jim Salih; Debbie Young; J.D. Perper; Charles Giamarino; Steve Burchett; Rob VanWinkle; Tom Terrific; Susan McConnell; Adam Fox; Brent Stewart; George Kiser; Steve Winheim; Victor Mattison
- Zoom: Liz DeCamp; Bill Collier; Sandy Roll; Kathy Denton; Nancy Alba
- Visitors at Sunset Hills Community Center: Julie Zeitler
Total Member Attendance 17 out of 29
|Streak||Attendance (5 or more in a row):|
Submitted by Susan McConnell, Secretary