South County Toastmasters Club 1957
Meeting Type/Theme: Happy New Year
Meeting Location: Sunset Hills Community Center/Zoom
Call to Order: 6:00 PM
Presiding Officer: Patrick Hunt
Word of the Night: Wash
Immediate Past President, Patrick Hunt, called for Victor Mattison to preside over the induction of the following new officers for the term January through June, 2022:
- President: Jim Salih
- VPE: Liz DeCamp
- VPM: Sandy Roll
- VPPR: Bill Collier
- Treasurer: Brent Stewart
- Secretary: Susan McConnell
- Sgt-at-Arms: Bill Day
- Immediate Past President: Patrick Hunt
The new officers were unanimously elected.
Outgoing President, Patrick Hunt, turned the meeting over to the current President, Jim Salih.
President Jim Salih welcomed visitor, Adam Fox, to the meeting. Adam introduced himself and stated the reason for visiting the meeting.
President Jim Salih asked if there were any corrections or additions to be made to the meeting minutes of December 15, 2021, hearing none, the minutes stood as posted.
President: Jim Salih:
- The Area Evaluation and International Speech contests are scheduled for February 19, 2022. In preparation for these contests, the SCTM Evaluation and International Speech contests will need to be held by February 9, 2022. Please contact Jim if you are interested in being the Contest Master.
- Training for all new officers will be completed soon. This will fulfill a requirement for the President’s Distinguished Club award.
- Speechcraft training will take place on January 12, 2022 at 11:30 AM via Zoom. Speechcraft is a 6-8 week course for newer Toastmasters to get a jumpstart into the Toastmasters program. The link to register is shown here: The link is also on the District 8 website.
- Max Kaiser, a former member of SCTM, is very ill. Anyone interested in sending him a card, his address is shown below:
Max S. Kaiser, Jr.
1734 Clarkson Rd. #1001
Chesterfield, MO 63017
Max responds quickly to Facebook Messenger posts under the name Max Kaiser Jr.
VPE: Liz DeCamp. She thanked everyone who helped her with the new schedule.
VPM: Sandy Roll. She stated that she will be scheduling a Special Night in March 2022, which will be titled, “What’s My Line.” She will also host an Open House in 2022. A former member, Ginny Foster, shared a Podcast with Sandy. Anyone interested in listening to it should contact Sandy. Ginny expressed gratitude to SCTM for helping her to develop skills to use in her personal life and professional experience.
VPPR: Bill Collier. Bill announced he had some SCTM business cards printed for the Club members to distribute. The business cards will be available at the meetings. He encouraged the members to think of the business cards as meeting invitations.
Treasurer: Brent Stewart. Brent presented the report shown below.
SOUTH COUNTY TOASTMASTERS
July 1, 2021 – December 31, 2021
|Dues and New Member Fees||2,145.00|
|Contribution for Flowers||20.00|
|Dues and New Member Fees||1,235.00|
|Supplies & Reimbursements||25.00|
|John Cleary Memorial Contribution||50.00|
|Room Rent has been paid through March 31, 2022.|
Secretary: Susan McConnell. No report.
Sgt at Arms: Bill Day. Not present.
TMI Liaison: Debbie Young, presented the following Pathways awards:
Bill Collier – Effective Coaching Level 1
Brent Stewart – Effective Coaching Level 3
Debbie Young – Motivational Strategies Level 2
Jim Salih – Effective Coaching Level 2
JD Perper – Presentation Mastery Level 2
JD Perper – Presentation Mastery Level 3
Rob VanWinkle – Innovative Planning Level 1
Tom Krauska – Presentation Mastery Level 2
The Club has fulfilled 5 of the 6 requirements for the President’s Distinguished Club award. This category should be completed by June, 2022.
Committee Reports: none
Unfinished Business: none
- Sean Sheehan requested that VPPR, Bill Collier, give some business cards to George Kiser when he attends the next meeting. George can give the cards to Sean, since they work together in the same office.
- Sean requested Max Kaiser’s contact information.
- Sean commented that Carl Hendrickson, former member, recently wrote an article for the Call Newspaper titled “The Gift of Better Communication.” The focus of the article was to promote Toastmasters. In response to this article, Sean wrote a letter to the editor promoting the advantages of SCTM including meeting times and location.
- Make-up training for officers will be held on February 15, 2022. Anyone interested in being a presenter or assisting with officer training, please contact Patrick Hunt.
- Division A contests will be held on March 5, 2022, via Zoom.
Correspondence and Announcements: The Communication Leadership Awards will be presented at the meeting next week, January 12, 2022. These awards will be given to people who are currently involved in teaching the speech and debate classes at Oakville and Mehlville High Schools as well as former members of these programs and to an individual who has coordinated the toy drive for the Kiwanis Club for the past 30 years. These awards were organized by Kathy Denton for a Pathways project. Please bring snacks and treats to share with the club next week.
- Business Meeting Adjourned 6:35 pm
|Toastmaster||Rob Van Winkle|
|Table Topics Master||Sandy Roll|
|General Evaluator||Bill Collier|
|Speaker 1||Liz DeCamp|
|Speaker 2||Victor Mattison|
|Evaluator 1||Brent Stewart|
|Evaluator 2||Kathy Denton|
|Invocator & Jokemaster||Susan McConnell|
|Vote Counter||Patrick Hunt|
|AH Counter||Debbie Young|
|Most Improved:||Liz DeCamp|
|Best Table Topics:||J.D. Perper|
|Best Evaluator:||Kathy Denton|
|Best Speaker||Victor Mattison|
Ah Counter’s Report: 0 Ahs, 12 repeated words throughout the meeting by various members.
Grammarian’s Report: 3 uses of the word “wash.”
Meeting Rating: 9.8
Meeting Adjourned: 7:50 pm
- Sunset: J.D. Perper; Debbie Young; Rob Van Winkle; Susan McConnell; Bill Collier; Steve Winheim; Brent Stewart; Kathy Denton
- Zoom: Sandy Roll; Callie Koehr; Sean Sheehan; Patrick Hunt; Jim Salih; Nancy Alba; Victor Mattison; Liz DeCamp
- Guests: Adam Fox at Sunset
Total Member Attendance 16 out of 29
|Streak||Attendance (5 or more in a row):|
Submitted by Susan McConnell, Secretary