South County Toastmasters (#1957)
Meeting Date: February 7, 2018
Meeting Type/Theme: Regular Meeting – Theme: The Olympics
Meeting Location: Metropolitan Life Building
Called to Order: 7:05 PM
Presiding Officer: Rob Van Winkle, President
- President – Rob Van Winkle – No corrections to the meeting minutes from last week. Approved as submitted
- President – Rob Van Winkle – Toastmasters International is all about camaraderie. The executive committee met tonight. It discussed the club’s successes during this term to date: We have 2 new members and will soon have a 3rd. The Speechcrafters program started tonight. This event was advertised in the Call newspapers. We will have an open house 2 weeks from tonight. Ads have been distributed to the South County Times and Call newspapers.
- Kate Schafroth – Gave a contest update. There are 5 speakers and 2 evaluators. She is still looking for other participants. Victor Mattison contributed that the next level of the competition, the area contest, will be held on March 31, 2018 from 12:30 – 3:30 at Grantsview Public Library.
- Jim Salih – The Speechcrafters program began tonight. There are 5 participants. This is the first time South County Toastmasters has presented this program in about 10 years.
- Mary K. Spencer – The Youth Leadership Program will meet on Tuesday evenings from March 6th through April. The graduation will take place at a Wednesday evening South County Toastmasters meeting. Mary K. requests a co-chair for this program and needs volunteer instructors for the different nights.
- Janet Bold requested admission to the club. Jim Salih moved to admit her and Tom Terrific seconded. The vote to admit Janet was unanimous. Debbie Young will be her mentor.
Correspondence and Announcements:
- Max Kaiser – The Gorlok Gala College Forensics Tournament Judging Committee expressed their appreciation for the help of our volunteer judges. Max Kaiser, Jean Broida, and Mary K. Spencer judged during the competition
|Invocator / CLE:||Stacie Duncan|
|Grammarian:||Debbie Young – camaraderie – used 5 times tonight|
|Time Keeper:||Mark Esswein|
|Vote Counter:||Phil Gawlak|
|Ah Counter:||Jean Broida – 9 crutch words and double clutches|
|Camera Operator:||Kate Schafroth|
|Table Topics:||Nancy Haparimwi – Vic Mattison, Jean Broida, Adila Zafer, Jim Bubash, Rob Van Winkle, Debbie Young, Howard Brandt, Dave Domian|
|General Evaluator:||Rich Puskarich|
|Joke Master:||Dave Domian|
Speakers and Evaluators:
|1||Vic Mattison||James Graves|
|2||Sean Sheehan||Bill Collier|
|3||Alan Kirby||Jim Salih|
|4||Mary K. Spencer||James Bubash|
|Most Improved:||Sean Sheehan|
|Best Table Topics:||Victor Mattison|
|Best Evaluator:||Bill Collier|
|Best Speaker:||Sean Sheehan|
Meeting Rating: 9.5
Schedule for Next Week’s Meeting – Not read
Meeting Adjourned: 9:00 pm
|Kaiser Jr, Max||☒|
|Spencer, Mary K||☒|
Attendance: 24 / 40 members present – 60 % attendance
Visitors: Janet Bold, Sandy Roll, John Fetter
Submitted by Sean Sheehan, Secretary